Bulk File Rename Tool
Here is an example of a bulk file rename tool you can use for inspiration:
- rename: Perl-powered file rename script with many helpful built-ins
Here are resources that you can use to build your bulk file rename tool:
- os Module: Miscellaneous operating system interfaces
- sys Module: System-specific parameters and functions
- shutil Module: High-level file operations
- Working With Files in Python: Real Python article
- argparse Module: Parser for command-line options, arguments and sub-commands
- How to Build Command Line Interfaces in Python With argparse: Real Python article
- click: A Python package for creating beautiful command line interfaces
- docopt: Command-line interface description language
- Regular Expressions: Regexes in Python: Two-part Real Python article series
00:00 Bulk File Renaming Tool. Now clearly, this isn’t the most glamorous of utilities to be creating, but it can be incredibly useful, particularly when you have hundreds or maybe even thousands of files that you need to rename using a particular format.
Let’s look at the
rename utility in action to see the kind of thing you could be creating. The
rename function can be installed using
homebrew on macOS or Linux, and you can see it in action here.
So here, I have a directory full of text files, which I want to rename. I don’t want to lose the numbering, but I do want to replace
file with a different piece of text. That can be done using the
rename tool, like this.
00:54 As you can see, it’s given me plenty of feedback on what it’s done, and now when we look at the files, we can see they’ve all been renamed appropriately without losing the numbers at the end, so all is well.
Let’s look at some of the technologies you need to implement a bulk file rename tool. Well, first and foremost, you’ll need to access files, possibly using a combination of
shutil—all from the Python standard library. Secondly, you’ll need to accept arguments, possibly using
docopt, which you’d need to investigate as to which suits your requirements the best.
01:40 So, let’s take a look at some of the extra challenges you could implement into your bulk file renaming tool project. Now, it’s really only under one heading, but it’s almost limitless. So, extra parameters—you could limit the size, the number of files, or any other limit.
Become a Member to join the conversation.