Episode 130: Fostering an Internal Python Community & Managing the 3.11 Release
The Real Python Podcast
Oct 21, 2022 1h 9m
Does your company have a plan for growing an internal Python community? What are the attributes to look for when bringing someone into your department? This week on the show, Pablo Galindo Salgado returns to talk about building community through the Python Guild at Bloomberg and managing the release of Python 3.11.
Pablo describes how the Python Guild started and currently operates inside Bloomberg. We talk about how it fosters community and acts as a way to promote internally developed tools across disparate teams. We also discuss how work groups use it to find new internal candidates for their teams.
Pablo talks about his role as release manager for Python 3.10 and 3.11. He shares the intense journey the team has had this year in preparing for the release of 3.11. He details updating testing strategies to work with the new specializing adaptive interpreter.
Course Spotlight: Python Basics: Strings and String Methods
In Python, collections of text are called strings. In this course, you’ll learn about this fundamental data type and the string methods that you can use to manipulate strings. Along the way, you’ll learn ways to work with strings of numbers, and how to format strings for printing.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:02:13 – Python Guild inside of Bloomberg
- 00:13:31 – Finding candidates for the guild from other areas
- 00:19:11 – Sponsor: Platform.sh
- 00:19:47 – Considering eagerness to learn and excitement
- 00:29:44 – Structuring the guild into work groups
- 00:33:43 – How are things going as release manager?
- 00:38:25 – Testing for adaptive interpreters
- 00:44:02 – Working toward the feature freeze
- 00:50:39 – Changing the parser went smoothly
- 00:54:34 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:55:55 – Where do you find the time?
- 00:59:51 – How’s the sweep picking coming along?
- 01:00:33 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 01:01:29 – What do you want to learn next?
- 01:07:18 – How can people follow the work you do?
- 01:08:20 – Thanks and goodbye
- Bloomberg publishes Memray, a new open source memory profiler for Python code - Bloomberg LP
- bloomberg/memray: Memray is a memory profiler for Python
- Pluralsight Tech Blog - Guilds at Pluralsight
- Lessons From Building a Community of Python Users Among Capital One’s Analysts - Capital One
- PEP 13 – Python Language Governance - peps.python.org
- Python Insider: Python 3.11.0rc2 is now available
- What’s New In Python 3.11 — Python 3.11.0rc2 documentation
- PEP 659 – Specializing Adaptive Interpreter - peps.python.org
- Andon (manufacturing) - Wikipedia
- Learn Rust - Rust Programming Language
- Swift - Apple
- raywenderlich.com - High quality programming tutorials: iOS, Android, Swift, Kotlin, Flutter, Server Side Swift, Unity, and more!
- Python Developers Survey 2022
- pablogsal (Pablo Galindo Salgado) - GitHub
- Pablo Galindo Salgado (@pyblogsal) - Twitter