Episode 148: Sharing Your Python App Across Platforms With BeeWare
The Real Python Podcast
Mar 10, 2023 1h 11m
Are you interested in deploying your Python project everywhere? This week on the show, Russell Keith-Magee, founder and maintainer of the BeeWare project, returns. Russell shares recent updates to Briefcase, a tool that converts a Python application into native installers on macOS, Windows, Linux, and mobile devices.
We cover how Anaconda hired him last year to work full-time on the BeeWare project. He shares how this has helped him focus his efforts and move the project forward.
We also discuss his recent talk at DjangoCon US 2022 on how to turn your website into an app (and why maybe you shouldn’t). Russell details the problems of converting from the Web to a mobile platform. We also contrast WebAssembly System Interface (WASI) with the tools that his team works on.
Course Spotlight: Managing Attributes With Python’s
In this video course, you’ll learn how to create managed attributes, also known as properties, using Python’s
property() in your custom classes.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:02:06 – BeeWare project update and open-source funding
- 00:06:47 – What are BeeWare and Briefcase?
- 00:08:19 – Toga GUI and contributions
- 00:10:47 – Pace of the project now
- 00:12:47 – PEP 517 and binary packages with C or Rust
- 00:17:29 – WASM and Briefcase for Web
- 00:22:22 – Sponsor: InfluxData
- 00:23:10 – How to turn your Website into an App - Talk
- 00:28:14 – Bridging libraries that access platform hardware
- 00:40:56 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:42:27 – WASI - WebAssembly System Interface
- 00:48:18 – Do you need an app or a website?
- 00:54:23 – Getting started with BeeWare
- 01:00:06 – What to do first if interested in contributing?
- 01:02:33 – Channels for the project
- 01:04:55 – Upcoming conference talks
- 01:05:26 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 01:06:42 – What do you want to learn next?
- 01:09:28 – How can people follow your work online?
- 01:10:10 – Thanks and goodbye
- Write once. Deploy everywhere. — BeeWare
- Russell Keith-Magee - Keynote - PyCon 2019 - YouTube
- Anaconda - Open Source
- PyScript - Run Python in your HTML
- Episode #22: Create Cross-Platform Python GUI Apps With BeeWare – The Real Python Podcast
- How to turn your Website into an App (and why maybe you shouldn’t!) with Russell Keith Magee - YouTube
- PEP 517 – A build-system independent format for source trees - peps.python.org
- rubicon-objc - PyPI
- Chaquopy – Python SDK for Android
- CAP theorem - Wikipedia
- BeeWare Tutorial
- The Buzz - BeeWare Blog
- You can take it with you: Packaging your Python code with Briefcase - PyCon US 2023
- BeeWare (@PyBeeWare) - Twitter
- Russell Keith-Magee (@firstname.lastname@example.org) - Mastodon