Episode 18: Ten Years of Flask: Conversation With Creator Armin Ronacher
Jul 17, 2020 1h 17m
This week on the show we have Armin Ronacher to talk about the first 10 years of Flask. Armin talks about the origins of Flask and the components that make up the framework. He talks about what goes into documenting a framework or API. He also talks about the community working on the ongoing development of Flask.
He also shares his thoughts about Python, and how it contrasts with Rust and TypeScript. Armin talks about what he would do differently if he were to start development of a project like Flask now.
Course Spotlight: Documenting Python Code: A Complete Guide
This course will get you up to speed with how to document your Python code. Documenting your code is an important step to help developers and users fully understand its usage and purpose.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:01:21 – Director of Engineering at Sentry
- 00:07:27 – How much are you currently involved with Flask?
- 00:08:32 – Are you still using both Python and Rust currently?
- 00:11:37 – The origins of Flask
- 00:19:14 – Initial reactions and focus
- 00:21:26 – Where has Jinja use shifted?
- 00:23:23 – Flask usage trends
- 00:25:44 – The Pallets Projects name
- 00:29:08 – Flask version numbers
- 00:34:21 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:35:21 – The community working on Flask
- 00:38:18 – Thoughts on type checking
- 00:41:40 – Flask’s documentation
- 00:43:26 – Thoughts on API documentation
- 00:47:27 – What would you change if you started from scratch?
- 00:49:58 – Listener question about using Python with WordPress
- 00:58:15 – Any suggestions of a Python project source code to read?
- 01:00:13 – Revisit - What would you change if you started from scratch?
- 01:03:17 – Thoughts on the current path of Python
- 01:06:20 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 01:07:44 – What do you want to learn next?
- 01:11:35 – Thoughts on conferences and speaking
- 01:16:19 – Thanks and Conclusion
- Armin Ronacher’s Thoughts and Writings
- Flask: A lightweight WSGI web application framework
- The Flask Mega-Tutorial: Miguel Grinberg
- ItsDangerous:It’s dangerous, so better sign this
- Jinja2: Full-featured template engine for Python
- Werkzeug: Comprehensive WSGI web application library
- Click: Creating beautiful command line interfaces in a composable way
- The Pallets Projects: A collection of Python web development libraries
- Euro-pallet: Wikipedia article
- Pygments: Python syntax highlighter
- Sphinx: Python Documentation Generator
- Python Type Checking: Real Python Guide
- mypy: Optional static type checker for Python
- Rust: A language empowering everyone to build reliable and efficient software
- Web Assembly: A binary instruction format for a stack-based virtual machine