Episode 82: Welcoming the CPython Developer in Residence
Oct 15, 2021 1h 32m
Earlier this year, the Python Software Foundation announced the creation of the Developer in Residence role. The first Visionary Sponsors of the PSF have provided funding for this new role for one year. What development responsibilities does this job address? This week on the show, we talk to previous guest Łukasz Langa about becoming the first CPython Developer in Residence.
We talk about how the first months in this role are shaping up. Łukasz discusses the need to address the backlog of open issues and pull requests. He also talks about how he is working to help the project’s volunteers move their contributions forward.
We cover his PyCon 2021 talk about generating real-time FM audio synthesis in Python. He also shares his experience developing a similar synthesis engine for an embedded hardware project.
Course Spotlight: Speech Recognition With Python
In this course, you’ll cover the fundamentals of speech recognition with Python. You’ll learn which speech recognition library gives the best results and build a full-featured “Guess The Word” game with it.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:01:51 – PyCon 2021 talk
- 00:20:54 – CPython Developer in Residence: Why did you want the role?
- 00:29:23 – Sponsor: DataStax Astra DB
- 00:29:55 – What were the expected responsibilities of the role?
- 00:35:47 – Working through BPO issues and GitHub pull requests
- 00:42:14 – Moving to migrate the systems
- 00:51:10 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:52:26 – What trends can you see currently?
- 00:57:28 – Do you feel the amount of activity is increasing due to the role being in place?
- 01:03:46 – What skills would you look for in a person in this role?
- 01:07:26 – If there was a team of people how would things be different?
- 01:11:00 – How to follow along with the journey?
- 01:13:35 – Gathering and sharing data about the process
- 01:18:45 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 01:25:04 – What do you want to learn next?
- 01:26:41 – Shout outs and plugs
- 01:31:36 – Thanks and goodbye
- Generate buzz with realtime FM audio synthesis: PyCon 2021 Talk - YouTube
- Limited Edition Medusa Black: Polyend
- I am the new CPython Developer in Residence
- Weekly Report, October 4 - 10: Łukasz Langa’s Blog
- Meet the Python Developer in Residence: Lukasz Langa - Talk Python Podcast
- Argument Clinic How-To: Python docs
- PEP 594 – Removing dead batteries from the standard library
- Datasette: An open source multi-tool for exploring and publishing data
- Episode 80: Make Your Python App Interactive With a Text User Interface (TUI)
- Why I’m working on Open Source full time: Will McGugan