Episode 32: Our New "Python Basics" Book & Filling the Gaps in Your Learning Path
Oct 23, 2020 50m
Do you have gaps in your Python learning path? If you’re like me, you may have followed a completely random route to learn Python. This week on the show, David Amos is here to talk about the release of the Real Python book, “Python Basics: A Practical Introduction to Python 3”. The book is designed not only to get beginners up to speed but also to help fill in the gaps many intermediate learners may still have.
David has been working on the book for the last two years, and we dive into all the resources that come with it. These include code challenges, quizzes, and multiple projects that are designed to help you cement your learning. We also discuss the people and processes involved in creating, reviewing, and updating the book.
Go from beginner to intermediate in Python with this complete curriculum, up-to-date for Python 3.9. Python Basics includes exercises, interactive quizzes, and sample projects, so you’ll always know what to focus on next in order to build a strong Python foundation.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:01:36 – Python Basics: A Practical Introduction to Python 3
- 00:02:39 – How has feedback helped the process?
- 00:04:17 – Who is the intended audience?
- 00:06:02 – Covering how to get Python installed on different platforms?
- 00:11:05 – What topics does the book cover?
- 00:14:12 – What can be previewed on Real Python?
- 00:15:03 – What format can you get the book in?
- 00:18:30 – Code challenges included!
- 00:21:33 – What other resources are provided to help with cementing your learning?
- 00:22:41 – What versions of Python are covered?
- 00:23:08 – How does the book fit into the Real Python learning eco-system?
- 00:29:35 – Spotlight: How to get a preview of the book!
- 00:30:38 – What has the writing process been like?
- 00:33:21 – What does didactic mean, in terms of reviewing materials?
- 00:39:23 – What were areas you were excited about updating?
- 00:41:29 – Were there important things you felt needed to be added?
- 00:45:55 – Who worked on the book?
- 00:47:13 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 00:48:13 – What do you want to learn next?
- 00:49:40 – Thanks and goodbye
- Python Basics: A Practical Introduction to Python 3
- Python 3 Installation & Setup Guide
- Create and Modify PDF Files in Python
- Python GUI Programming With Tkinter
- Object-Oriented Programming (OOP) in Python 3
- A Practical Introduction to Web Scraping in Python