Episode 51: Navigating Options for Deploying Your Python Application
Mar 12, 2021 1h 3m
What goes into the decision of how to host your Python code or application in the cloud? Which technology stack is the right size for your project? This week on the show, we have Calvin Hendryx-Parker. Calvin talks about cloud hosting options, infrastructure choices, and deployment tools.
Calvin is the co-founder and CTO of Six Feet Up, and co-organizer of the Python Web Conference. We talk about finding the right tools for clients. He also discusses the Python platform they created for hosting a virtual conference.
We also discuss hosting personal portfolio projects. That conversation leads to the question, what types of skills you can showcase through creating a hosted project.
Course Spotlight: Creating PyQt Layouts for GUI Applications
In this step-by-step course, you’ll learn how to use PyQt layouts to arrange and manage the graphical components on your GUI applications. With the help of PyQt’s layout managers, you’ll be able to create polished and professional GUIs with minimal effort.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:01:46 – What considerations to start with for deployment?
- 00:04:02 – What is Saltstack?
- 00:06:00 – The changing cloud hosting landscape
- 00:10:12 – Containers, Docker, and other standards
- 00:11:28 – How do you learn about this technology?
- 00:15:58 – Concerns of setting up development vs production environments
- 00:17:41 – Security concerns
- 00:19:20 – Sponsor: Scout APM
- 00:20:26 – Deploying a Python portfolio project
- 00:23:12 – Deploying for a small business project or API
- 00:29:11 – Cloud formation, Terraform, additional tools
- 00:30:22 – Deploying a large project
- 00:35:12 – Frontend frameworks for large web projects
- 00:39:30 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:40:43 – What does your consultancy do?
- 00:41:37 – What things do you look for in an employee?
- 00:50:42 – Python Web Conference 2021
- 00:57:43 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 00:59:09 – What do you want to learn next?
- 01:00:49 – What is something you thought you knew about Python, but were wrong about it?
- 01:02:23 – Thanks and goodbye
- Six Feet Up
- Python Web Conference 2021
- LoudSwarm: Virtual Conference Hosting Platform
- Salt Project: Open Source Automation Engine
- The 12 Factor App
- Ansible: Agentless IT Automation
- AWS Free Tier
- AWS Lambda: Run code without thinking about servers
- Terraform: open-source infrastructure as code software tool
- AWS Fargate: Serverless compute for containers
- Docker: Get Started
- Snyk: Developer-first Cloud Native Application Security
- Dependabot: Automated Dependency Updates
- Continuous Integration With Python: An Introduction - Real Python Article
- Chris Anderson via Twitter: This is the open source flight code that the NASA Mars drone is running
- Plone: The Ultimate Enterprise CMS
- Code With Me: Ultimate collaborative development by JetBrains
- AWS DeepLens
- Fluent Python: Luciano Ramalho