Episode 10: Python Job Hunting in a Pandemic
The Real Python Podcast
May 22, 2020 1h 19m
Do you know someone in the Python community who recently was let go from their job due to the pandemic? What does the job landscape currently look like? What are skills and techniques that will help you in your job search? This week we have Kyle Stratis on the show to discuss how he is managing his job search after just being let go from his data engineering job. Kyle is a member of the Real Python team and has written several articles for the site.
We discuss Kyle’s career and the skills that he’s developed, which are currently helping him in his job search. Kyle left academia to work as a data engineer. His background helps him to communicate between teams of scientists and engineers.
We also talk about Kyle’s recent article on combining data in Pandas. Kyle shares a tip on Pandas efficiency, and hints at some lesser known features of Python generators.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:01:27 – Kyle’s background on being let go
- 00:04:17 – Programming background and building connections
- 00:10:18 – Becoming a Data Engineer
- 00:15:59 – Translating between science and data teams
- 00:20:35 – Every job has different language requirements
- 00:23:44 – Getting out of your Python language comfort zone
- 00:27:08 – NASDANQ project - a stockmarket for Memes
- 00:30:34 – Learning the power of building a network
- 00:35:13 – Using skills developed in outside projects
- 00:38:45 – What does the job landscape look like currently?
- 00:49:52 – Writing for Real Python
- 00:52:53 – Combining data in Pandas article
- 00:55:22 – Merging in Pandas
- 01:03:05 – Feedback and community
- 01:10:37 – What are you excited ab out in the world of Python?
- 01:12:12 – What is something you thought you knew about Python but were wrong about it?
- 01:14:01 – What is a little known Python trick or tip?
- 01:14:33 – More efficient Pandas
- 01:15:52 – Using more of the advanced features of generators
- 01:18:55 – Thanks and Goodbye
- Kyle’s Blog
- Kyle’s LinkedIn
- A MongoDB Optimization: Kyle Stratis’ Blog
- Memes are serious business with their own stock exchange: CNET
- How a group of Redditors is creating a fake stock market to figure out the value of memes: The Verge
- The joke Meme Economy is a now real thing called NASDANQ: AV Club
- Forbes Did A V. Serious Analysis Of NASDANQ, The Stock Market For Memes: Pedestrian
- Domi Station in Tallahassee
- Combining Data in Pandas With merge(), .join(), and concat(): Real Python article
- A Visual Explanation of SQL Joins: Coding Horror
- Wily: A command-line application for tracking, reporting on complexity of Python tests and applications
- Refactoring Python Applications for Simplicity: Real Python article
- Fast, Flexible, Easy and Intuitive: How to Speed Up Your Pandas Projects: Real Python article
- How to Use Generators and yield in Python: Real Python article