Episode 107: Type-Safe ORM With Prisma Client & Real Python at PyCon US 2022
The Real Python Podcast
Apr 22, 2022 58m
Are you using an Object-Relational Mapper (ORM) for your Python projects? What if it could work with SQL or No-SQL databases and be fully type-safe? This week on the show, Robert Craigie talks about Prisma Client Python.
Prisma Client Python is built on top of Prisma, which was created for TypeScript and Node.js. It uses a schema file to declare your application’s data models and relationships in a human-readable form. The schema file allows you to easily switch the database type.
Prisma Client is different from other Python ORMs. It is fully type-safe and can be used with or without async.
We talk about how Robert started the project and what types of challenges he’s faced. He also shares areas of improvement and how to contribute to the project.
We also have a conversation with several Real Python core team members about PyCon US 2022. We will have a booth at the conference where we hope you’ll come and connect with us. The team also shares what to expect from PyCon and what they’re excited about this year.
Course Spotlight: Python REST APIs With FastAPI
In this course, you’ll learn the main concepts of FastAPI and how to use it to quickly create web APIs that implement best practices by default. By the end of it, you will be able to start creating production-ready web APIs.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:02:15 – Have you worked on other open-source projects?
- 00:02:59 – What is Prisma?
- 00:05:00 – What are advantages of using an ORM?
- 00:06:52 – What problem is Prisma Client solving?
- 00:08:43 – What was involved in porting the project over?
- 00:09:55 – Creating a Prisma schema
- 00:12:09 – Other challenges along the way
- 00:14:57 – Dangers of not having type safety
- 00:16:27 – Sponsor: Linear B
- 00:17:06 – How long have you been working on the project?
- 00:18:57 – How could someone contribute to the project?
- 00:21:03 – In what situations does Prisma Client excel?
- 00:24:21 – What other projects do you currently work on?
- 00:24:57 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 00:28:01 – What do you want to learn next?
- 00:29:52 – Thanks and Goodbye
- 00:30:14 – Introduction of RP team
- 00:31:09 – What are we doing at PyCon 2022?
- 00:35:55 – How to Get the Most Out of PyCon US
- 00:37:42 – Tutorials at PyCon US 2022
- 00:40:24 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:41:49 – Talks at PyCon US 2022
- 00:50:16 – Sprints at PyCon US 2022
- 00:54:38 – Final thoughts
- 00:57:30 – Thanks and goodbyes
- Prisma Client Python
- Prisma schema (Reference) | Prisma Docs
- pyright: Static type checker for Python
- pyright-python: Python command line wrapper for pyright, a static type checker
- Pylance - Visual Studio Marketplace
- Rust Programming Language
- prisma-client-py: An auto-generated and fully type-safe database client built for autocomplete
- Prisma Python Discord server
- PyCon 2022 Welcome to PyCon US 2022
- How to Get the Most Out of PyCon US – Real Python
- KiwiPyCon - New Zealand Python User Group
- PyColorado 2019