Episode 179: Improving Your Git Developer Experience in Python
Nov 03, 2023 56m
Are you getting by with a few fundamental commands for Git when building your Python projects? Would you like to improve your version control techniques and become more efficient with the Git command line? This week on the show, Adam Johnson is back to talk about his new book, “Boost Your Git DX.”
Adam brings advice about creating a Git configuration, enabling autocorrect, and customizing a global ignore file. He combed through the cryptic documentation and found the valuable developer settings, so you won’t have to.
Adam also shares tools and settings to speed up your terminal workflows. We discuss configuring Zsh, creating aliases, and comparing diffs. We briefly dig into the most recent update to Django and his work on the project.
This week’s episode is brought to you by Taipy.
Course Spotlight: Introduction to Git and GitHub for Python Developers
What is Git, what is GitHub, and what’s the difference? Learn the basics of Git and GitHub from the perspective of a Pythonista in this step-by-step video course.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:02:13 – When did you start working on this book?
- 00:06:11 – Git’s tendency to be inscrutable
- 00:08:57 – Audience for the book
- 00:09:47 – What have you learned about writing?
- 00:13:41 – What were you most excited to share?
- 00:14:34 – Global Git ignore
- 00:19:53 – Sponsor: Taipy
- 00:20:58 – Backing up configuration
- 00:22:37 – Git autocorrect
- 00:24:48 – Recovering from mistakes
- 00:27:58 – Creating terminal aliases in Zsh
- 00:31:59 – Using a Colemak keyboard layout
- 00:34:33 – Changing the diff-options to histogram
- 00:37:22 – Altering the global configuration file
- 00:39:36 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:41:05 – Brief history of the Git project
- 00:44:27 – delta - syntax-highlighting pager for git, diff, and grep output
- 00:45:22 – pygments-git - Pygments lexers for Git output and files
- 00:46:56 – What are you excited about in the world of Git?
- 00:49:17 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 00:52:51 – What do you want to learn next?
- 00:53:50 – How can people follow your work online?
- 00:55:23 – Thanks and goodbye
- Boost Your Git DX
- “Boost Your Git DX” out now - Adam Johnson
- Boost Your Django DX
- Git: How to set up a global ignore file - Adam Johnson
- Git - git-config Documentation
- Git: How to enable autocorrect - Adam Johnson
- New zine: Oh shit, Git!
- Oh Shit, Git!?!
- Git - git-reflog Documentation
- Oh My Zsh - a delightful & open source framework for Zsh
- Starship: Cross-Shell Prompt
- Git - diff-options Documentation
- Git - Git Configuration
- Colemak - Keyboard Layout
- delta: A syntax-highlighting pager for Git, diff, and grep output
- pygments-git - PyPI
- Sapling from Meta
- Jujutsu: A Git-compatible DVCS that is both simple and powerful
- Django 5.0 beta 1 released - Django
- Adam Johnson’s Blog
- Adam Johnson (@firstname.lastname@example.org) - Fosstodon
- Projects - Adam Johnson