Episode 54: Building a Neural Network and How to Write Tests in Python
The Real Python Podcast
Apr 02, 2021 46m
Do you know how a neural network functions? What goes into building one from scratch using Python? This week on the show, David Amos is back, and he’s brought another batch of PyCoder’s Weekly articles and projects.
David talks about a recent Real Python article titled “Python AI: How to Build a Neural Network & Make Predictions.” This article covers how to train a neural network and create a linear regression model.
We also cover several articles about testing in Python including, writing unit tests, testing code in Jupyter notebooks, and a testing style guide.
We cover several other articles and projects from the Python community including, how to build an Asteroids game with Python and Pygame, a 5-point framework for Python performance management, how it helps to know a Python programmer if you want a vaccination appointment, a Flask mega-tutorial, and the new release of SQLAlchemy.
Course Spotlight: Python Coding Interviews: Tips & Best Practices
In this step-by-step course, you’ll learn how to take your Python coding interview skills to the next level and use Python’s built-in functions and modules to solve problems faster and more easily.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:02:01 – Build an Asteroids Game With Python and Pygame
- 00:08:18 – Python AI: How to Build a Neural Network & Make Predictions
- 00:11:51 – Sponsor: Scout APM
- 00:12:56 – How to Write Unit Tests in Python, Part 1: Fizz Buzz
- 00:19:40 – A 5-Point Framework For Python Performance Management
- 00:26:16 – Unit Testing Python Code in Jupyter Notebooks
- 00:30:02 – Python Testing Style Guide
- 00:31:32 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:32:47 – Want a vaccination appointment? It helps to know a Python programmer
- 00:37:29 – Flask Megatutorial
- 00:41:22 – SQLAlchemy version 1.4.0
- 00:45:14 – Thanks and goodbye
Build an Asteroids Game With Python and Pygame – Build a clone of the Asteroids game in Python using Pygame. Step by step, you’ll add images, input handling, game logic, sounds, and text to your program.
Python AI: How to Build a Neural Network & Make Predictions – Build a neural network from scratch as an introduction to the world of artificial intelligence (AI) in Python. You’ll learn how to train your neural network and make accurate predictions based on a given dataset.
How to Write Unit Tests in Python, Part 1: Fizz Buzz – Get an introduction to unit testing in Python from the author of the Flask Megatutorial.
A 5-Point Framework For Python Performance Management – “Performance testing — like sailboat racing — depends on the conditions along the racecourse.”
Unit Testing Python Code in Jupyter Notebooks – Even if you code in Jupyter notebooks, there’s no excuse to not be testing your code!
Python Testing Style Guide – Need a quick yet thorough guide to testing? This excellent resource is for you.
Want a vaccination appointment? It helps to know a Python programmer – Programmers are writing scripts to help find vaccine appointments for those who are eligible.
- About Paweł Fertyk: Real Python Author
- Miskatonic Studio
- Episode 2: Learn Python Skills While Creating Games
- Episode 11: Advice on Getting Started With Testing in Python
- Python Coding Interviews: Tips & Best Practices - range() vs enumerate()
- doctest — Test interactive Python examples: Python Documentation
- testbook: Unit Testing Framework Extension For Testing Code in Jupyter Notebooks