Episode 85: Exploring Django Templates, Tags, and Filters
Nov 05, 2021 1h 1m
Are you getting the most out of the Django framework? It’s a powerful web framework if you’re not interested in reinventing the wheel. Django includes a useful template system with inheritance for composing reusable HTML. This week on the show, we have previous guest and Real Python author Christopher Trudeau to talk about his recent articles and courses about Django.
Christopher explains how Django templates help you avoid rewriting large portions of HTML for your web applications. His first article covers the built-in tags and filters provided by the framework. The second one dives into how customize and implement your own filters and tags. Christopher also talks about his process for choosing topics for articles and courses.
We start the episode by covering a recent article by CPython Developer in Residence, Łukasz Langa. We talked in a previous episode about his plan to study where all the Python core developer activity goes. He’s gathered several years of GitHub data, and we discuss the post.
Course Spotlight: Building With Django REST Framework
This course will get you ready to build with Django REST Framework. The Django REST framework (DRF) is a toolkit built on top of the Django web framework that reduces the amount of code you need to write to create REST interfaces.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:02:03 – Where does all the effort go? Looking at Python core developer activity
- 00:07:23 – Notes From the Meeting On Python GIL Removal Between Python Core and Sam Gross
- 00:08:36 – Django background
- 00:11:28 Flask vs Django
- 00:14:37 – Django Templates: Built-In Tags and Filters
- 00:25:26 – Sponsor: Cloudsmith
- 00:26:12 – Django Templates: Implementing Custom Tags and Filters
- 00:32:54 – Django Rest Framework - video course
- 00:42:09 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:43:16 – What goes into picking an article to turn into a course?
- 00:53:18 – What are you excited about in the world of Python?
- 00:57:00 – Support Django development by donating to the Django Software Foundation
- 01:00:55 – Thanks and goodbye
- About Christopher Trudeau: Real Python Page
- arSensa: Christopher’s personal website
- Where does all the effort go? Looking at Python core developer activity
- Episode 82: Welcoming the CPython Developer in Residence
- Notes From the Meeting On Python GIL Removal Between Python Core and Sam Gross
- nogil: Python Multithreading without GIL
- Django Templates: Built-In Tags and Filters - Real Python Article
- Django Templates: Implementing Custom Tags and Filters - Real Python Article
- Django: The web framework for perfectionists with deadlines
- Asciimatics: A cross-platform package to replace curses and create ASCII animations
- Asciimatics: GitHub Repo
- Support Django development by donating to the Django Software Foundation