Episode 15: Python Regular Expressions, Views vs Copies in Pandas, and More
Jun 26, 2020 44m
Have you wanted to learn Regular Expressions in Python, but don’t know where to start? Have you stumbled into the dreaded pink SettingWithCopyWarning in Pandas? This week on the show, we have David Amos from the Real Python team to discuss a recent two-part series on Regex in Python. We also talk about another recent article on the site about views vs copies in Pandas. David also brings a few other articles and projects from the wider Python community for us to discuss.
David searches for the latest Python news, links, and articles to produce PyCoder’s Weekly with Dan Bader. PyCoder’s Weekly is a free email newsletter for those interested in Python development. Along with the previously mentioned Real Python articles, we also discuss articles from the community about: getting machine learning to production, combining Flask and Vue, space science with Python, and the fastest way to flatten a list in Python.
Course Spotlight: Reading and Writing Files in Python
This course will get you up to speed with reading and writing files in Python. You’ll cover everything from what a file is made up of, to which libraries can help you along that way. You’ll also take a look at some basic scenarios of file usage as well as some advanced techniques.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:01:40 – SettingWithCopyWarning in Pandas
- 00:06:17 – Fastest Way to Flaten a List in Python
- 00:12:12 – Combining Flask and Vue
- 00:15:33 – Regular Expressions in Python
- 00:23:08 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:24:00 – Space Science With Python
- 00:30:13 – Getting Machine Learning to Production
- 00:37:15 – genetic-drawing
- 00:39:42 – MicroscoPy
- 00:43:55 – Thanks and Goodbye
SettingWithCopyWarning in Pandas: Views vs Copies – In this tutorial, you’ll learn about views and copies in NumPy and Pandas. You’ll see why the SettingWithCopyWarning occurs in Pandas and how to properly write code that avoids it.
Fastest Way to Flatten a List in Python – Explore six different was to flatten a list of lists in Python and how their performance compares. The fastest of the six methods mentioned might surprise you!
Combining Flask and Vue – Learn about three ways to combine Flask and Vue, the pros and cons of each, and some guidelines for when to use each method.
Regular Expressions: Regexes in Python (Part 2) – In the previous tutorial in this series, you learned how to perform sophisticated pattern matching using regular expressions, or regexes, in Python. This tutorial explores more regex tools and techniques that are available in Python.
Space Science With Python – Explore and analyze the wonders and mysteries of space… with Python!
Getting Machine Learning to Production – Millions of web apps get deployed to production every day. But machine learning models aren’t web apps. And very few people are talking about deployment. Learn how tools like Streamlit can help take the edge off deploying your machine learning models.
- genetic-drawing: A Genetic Algorithm Toy Project for Drawing
- Anastasia Opara - Procedural Artist
- MicroscoPy: An Open-Source, Motorized, and Modular Microscope Built Using LEGO Bricks, Arduino, Raspberry Pi and 3D Printing
- SPICE: An Observation Geometry System for Space Science Missions
- SpiceyPy documentation: Read the docs
- SPICE lessons provided by the NAIF translated to use Python code