Episode 37: Teaching Python and Finding Resources for Students
The Real Python Podcast
Nov 27, 2020 49m
One of the best ways to learn something well is to teach it. This week on the show, we have Kelly Schuster-Paredes and Sean Tibor from the Teaching Python podcast.
Sean and Kelly teach middle school students Python and share their art and science of teaching Python on their podcast. They wanted to come on the show to talk about the Real Python articles, quizzes, and other resources they use when teaching their students.
We also talk about teaching students how to research topics and use things like advanced search with Google. We discuss using cloud-based tools like collaborative notebooks and some of the core Python concepts students need for a solid foundation.
Kelly and Sean also talk about how the changes to teaching over the past year have had some unexpected benefits. They also talk about a few recent guests and topics covered on their podcast.
Course Spotlight: Basic Data Types in Python
In this course, you’ll learn the basic data types that are built into Python, like numbers, strings, and Booleans. You’ll also get an overview of Python’s built-in functions.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:02:17 – Why did you pick Python for the curriculum?
- 00:05:48 – Is there a particular IDE or editor you use when teaching?
- 00:07:35 – Is it helpful using cloud based tools with students?
- 00:10:02 – What Real Python resources are you using in the classroom?
- 00:11:48 – Using Google to find good resources
- 00:18:31 – Sponsor: Linode
- 00:19:16 – Other Real Python materials
- 00:27:58 – What video content works with students?
- 00:30:33 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:31:30 – Recent topics and guests on Teaching Python
- 00:34:39 – Are code samples helpful when teaching?
- 00:37:06 – Using long form tutorials to demonstrate their learning
- 00:40:00 – What are you excited about in the world of Python (Sean)?
- 00:41:02 – What do you want to learn next (Sean)?
- 00:41:57 – What are you excited about in the world of Python (Kelly)?
- 00:45:28 – What do you want to learn next (Kelly)?
- 00:48:50 – Thanks and goodbye
- Teaching Python Podcast
- Communicating With Video For Effective Learning: E44 Teaching Python
- Code with Mu: a simple Python editor for beginner programmers
- Welcome To Colaboratory: Google Colaboratory
- PyCharm: The Python IDE for Professional Developers
- Microsoft Visual Studio Code: Open Source IDE
- Writing Comments in Python (Guide): Real Python article
- Google Advanced Search
- Google Advanced Image Search
- The Beginner’s Guide to Python Turtle: Real Python article
- Basic Data Types in Python: Real Python article
- Python Quizzes: Real Python
- sentdex: YouTube channel
- Lists and Tuples in Python: Real Python video course
- Teaching the Full Stack with Ali Spittel (@alispittel): E52 Teaching Python
- Making Projects Happen with Eric Matthes (@ehmatthes): E54 Teaching Python
- Traditional Face Detection With Python: Real Python article
- SimPy: Simulating Real-World Processes With Python: Real Python article
- Understanding the Python Mock Object Library: Real Python article
- Django Girls
- Beyond the Basic Stuff with Python - Al Sweigart
- Going Beyond the Basic Stuff With Python and Al Sweigart: E33 Real Python Podcast
- Developing for Mobile, the Web, and Desktop with Russell Keith-Magee (@freakboy3742): E53 Teaching Python
- Create Cross-Platform Python GUI Apps With BeeWare: E22 Real Python Podcast
- BeeWare: Write once. Deploy everywhere.