Episode 36: Sentiment Analysis, Fourier Transforms, and More Python Data Science
The Real Python Podcast
Nov 20, 2020 57m
Are you interested in learning more about Natural Language Processing? Have you heard of sentiment analysis? This week on the show, Kyle Stratis returns to talk about his new article titled, Use Sentiment Analysis With Python to Classify Movie Reviews. David Amos is also here, and all of us cover another batch of PyCoder’s Weekly articles and projects.
Kyle discusses an article about distance metrics for machine learning. David shares a Real Python article about Python signal processing and Fourier transforms with scipy.fft. We also cover several other articles and projects from the Python community including, simulating real-world processes in Python with SimPy, working with Microsoft Excel using Python and OpenPyXL, why running code during import is a bad idea, what I wish I knew as a junior dev, the Raspberry Pi 400 personal computer, dynamic sky replacement and harmonization in videos with SkyAR.
Course Spotlight: Simulating Real-World Processes in Python With SimPy
In this step-by-step course, you’ll see how you can use the SimPy package to model real-world processes with a high potential for congestion. You’ll create an algorithm to approximate a complex system, and then you’ll design and run a simulation of that system in Python.
- 00:00:00 – Introduction
- 00:02:56 – Use Sentiment Analysis With Python to Classify Movie Reviews
- 00:09:49 – OpenPyXL: Working with Microsoft Excel Using Python
- 00:12:41 – An Illustration of Why Running Code During Import Is a Bad Idea
- 00:16:52 – Distance Metrics for Machine Learning
- 00:22:52 – Sponsor: linode.com
- 00:22:52 – What I Wish I Knew as a Junior Dev
- 00:35:29 – Fourier Transforms With scipy.fft: Python Signal Processing
- 00:39:44 – Simulating Real-World Processes in Python With SimPy
- 00:43:30 – Video Course Spotlight
- 00:44:35 – Raspberry Pi 400 Personal Computer Kit Now Available
- 00:49:55 – SkyAR: Dynamic Sky Replacement and Harmonization in Videos
- 00:52:04 – Creating an Idea Factory with Roam Research
- 00:56:02 – Thanks and goodbye
Use Sentiment Analysis With Python to Classify Movie Reviews – In this tutorial, you’ll learn about sentiment analysis and how it works in Python. You’ll then build your own sentiment analysis classifier with spaCy that can predict whether a movie review is positive or negative.
OpenPyXL: Working with Microsoft Excel Using Python – Ah, Excel. Everyone loves to hate it. But let’s face it. Excel is one of the most popular pieces of software ever written. But you love Python, not Excel, which is why you might want to learn OpenPyXL.
An Illustration of Why Running Code During Import Is a Bad Idea (And How It Happens Anyway) – Code that runs when a module is imported is usually a code smell. But sometimes there’s no way around it.
Distance Metrics for Machine Learning – Many machine learning algorithms can be summarized as transforming data to n-dimensional vectors and computing similarity between points by means of some distance metric. This article explores four of these metrics—the Euclidean, Manhattan, Minkowski, and Hamming distances—and how to compute them with Python.
What I Wish I Knew as a Junior Dev – Some of these are things even senior devs need to be reminded of sometimes!
Fourier Transforms With scipy.fft: Python Signal Processing – In this tutorial, you’ll learn how to use the Fourier transform, a powerful tool for analyzing signals with applications ranging from audio processing to image compression. You’ll explore several different transforms provided by Python’s scipy.fft module.
- Simulating Real-World Processes in Python With SimPy
- Raspberry Pi 400 Personal Computer Kit Now Available
- SkyAR: Dynamic Sky Replacement and Harmonization in Videos
- Python Job Hunting in a Pandemic: RPP Episode 10
- Natural language processing: Wikipedia
- spaCy: Industrial-Strength Natural Language Processing in Python
- Natural Language Processing With spaCy in Python
- Natural Language Toolkit
- Building PDFs in Python with ReportLab: RPP Episode 20
- Mouse vs Python: Mike Driscoll Blog
- Python 101: 2nd Edition
- openpyxl - A Python library to read/write Excel 2010 xlsx/xlsm files
- Editing Excel Spreadsheets in Python With openpyxl
- How to Read a Book: The Ultimate Guide by Mortimer Adler
- import antigravity: The History of Python Blog
- How to Take Smart Notes by Sönke Ahrens - Summary
- Kyle Stratis’ YouTube Channel
- Creating an Idea Factory with Roam Research