Jon is a life-long teacher/learner, having formally taught Python and Java in two high schools in the Puget Sound. Prior to that, he spent 20+ years watching the highs and lows at Microsoft as a Program Manager, where among his other duties he mentored new hires and developed/delivered training.
He’s worked as a software developer, software tester, support engineer, DBA, sysadmin, phone order taker, grocery bagger, and student janitor — just not all at the same time.
When he’s not teaching or behind the keyboard working on a personal project, he’s probably doing one or more of these things:
- running the roads in his neighborhood,
- building and painting model cars and figures,
- learning how to make an Arduino do cool stuff,
- trying to photograph the birds in his backyard,
- making some lines on paper and calling them “art”,
- calming his two cats, Shadow and Belle, during a thunderstorm, or
- wishing he were in a National Park instead.
Originally from New England, Jon current resides in Illinois, and can photographically prove he’s visited at least four other countries.
Tutorials by Jon:
- Arcade: A Primer on the Python Game Framework
- Emacs: The Best Python Editor?
- PyGame: A Primer on Game Programming in Python
- Object-Oriented Programming in Python vs Java
- Python Development in Visual Studio Code
- Reading and Writing CSV Files in Python
- Python IDEs and Code Editors (Guide)
Tutorials Jon Contributed to:
- Arduino With Python: How to Get Started
- Python sleep(): How to Add Time Delays to Your Code
- How to Convert a Python String to int
- PyCharm for Productive Python Development (Guide)
- How to Make a Discord Bot in Python
- How to Use Redis With Python
- How to Use Python Lambda Functions
- The Python range() Function (Guide)
- Basic Data Types in Python
- Python Application Layouts: A Reference